Finding The Lost WordPress Plugins
It's Episode 568 and we have plugins for Freezing Content, Jellyfish Counter, Last Login, Scanning FMS, Cloning Yourself, Searching Replacement… and ClassicPress Options. It's all coming up on WordPress Plugins A-Z!
Content Freeze, Jellyfish Counter Widget, When Last Login, Scanner FMS, Did someone clone me?, Better Search and Replace……. and ClassicPress options on Episode 568.
This is a value for value show and I look forward to everyone providing some value back.
Before I get started, you will want to hang around to the end of the show for our Q & A segment with Amber…. and to those listening on the podcast, you may want to check out the YouTube version which has some great discussions before the show starts…
This is #27 of 52 episodes for 2022!
AAAAAAaaaand we're back! Skipped a week due to just too much going on in the home lives, and honestly we just couldn't find the time to prep for last week's show – but we are back now!
Even with all the crazy though, still found 2 hours to take the little one to the lake – always make time for fun! Gotta get out there and enjoy the sunshine, laugh a little, be a bit crazy – helps you to keep your mind sane. Remember to drop the socials while getting out and having fun – it adds to the enjoyment!
Go be a kid.
We have some news from the world of WordPress for you today as well as some great plugins.
News this week:
WordPress Vulnerability Report – July 6, 2022 https://ithemes.com/blog/wordpress-vulnerability-report-july-6-2022/
– There were some WordPress Core vulnerabilities that have been dealt with, be sure to update! And there is a bit of a list for plugin's that have no known fix; here's some I recognize: Image Slider, Gallery for Social Photo, WordPress Popup, Request a Quote. There are more, be sure to have a look at the list.
Envato to shut down Envato Studio on short notice, jilting longtime service providers https://wptavern.com/envato-to-shut-down-envato-studio-on-short-notice-jilting-longtime-service-providers
– The Australia-based digital assets company announced it is shutting down its community freelance platform Envato Studio and Twenty20 a stock photo website. They also laid off 100 of its 700 employees. They have given just under two months notice, even though it was suggested that six months be given. This seems like it might go rather poorly.
Awesome Motive acquires WP charitable plugin https://wptavern.com/awesome-motive-acquires-wp-charitable-plugin
– Awesome Motive, the makers of plugins like OptinMonster, WPForms, and MonsterInsights has acquired WP Charitable this week. Not sure if these guys will change it much, they seem to be pretty chill with their plugins, not going nuts in the updates and changes to ‘better your customer experience', so hopefully it goes well!
WordPress performance team revises proposal for WebP by Default https://wptavern.com/wordpress-performance-team-revises-proposal-for-webp-by-default
– After about a year of research, the team reassessed its approach to the controversial WebP by Default and have decided to go through with it. They are still working through revisions, and they will only be for core image sizes in 6.1. There is more to it, but those are the main points.
Software Freedom Conservancy calls for GitHub Boycott https://wptavern.com/software-freedom-conservancy-calls-for-github-boycott
– Software Freedom Conservancy is urging developers to stop using GitHub and move their projects to other platforms. This is a continuation of their pat with GitHub, what with their ‘Give up on GitHub' site. It seems the main issue is the inability to keep code from being paid for every time, and their lack of professionalism.
WordCamp US 2022 tickets now on sale: limited to 650 attendees https://wptavern.com/wordcamp-us-2022-tickets-now-on-sale-limited-to-650-attendees
– For those who are interested, this will be taking place in San Diego for 3 days, running from September 9-11! Very exciting!
The Pirate Library Mirror wants to preserve all human knowledge… illegally https://thenextweb.com/news/pirate-library-mirror-wants-to-preserve-human-knowledge-illegally
– This is an awesome project to preserve over 7TB of books, articles, and journals! Just one problem – it's illegal. How is it illegal to focus on preserving human knowledge though you ask? Because it is mirroring Z-Library, an illegal repository of journal articles, academic texts, and general-interest books. The site enforces a free download limit – 10 books a day – and then charges users when they go above this. There's a lot to this, I am LOVING this project! I hope it goes big and wide!
This is the extra news stuff that someone out there might find interesting. To read more, you can head on over to the show notes or newsletter and check it out! If you find something to add for next show, send me a link at firstname.lastname@example.org
Matt Mullenweg identifies GoDaddy as a ‘parasitic company' and an ‘existential threat to WordPress future' https://wptavern.com/matt-mullenweg-identifies-godaddy-as-a-parasitic-company-and-an-existential-threat-to-wordpress-future
– This looks to be another Twitter war! Should be interesting to follow this – it seems that there is some pretty bad blood between WordPress and GoDaddy. I did not know this before.
GoDaddy Responds to Mullenweg's accusations: ‘we all have the same goal' https://wptavern.com/godaddy-responds-to-mullenwegs-accusations-we-all-have-the-same-goal
– It appears that GoDaddy is trying to take the higher road! Very interesting Twitter war going on!
FBI: these hackers are targeting healthcare records and IT systems with Maui ransomware https://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-these-hackers-are-targeting-healthcare-records-and-it-systems-with-maui-ransomware/
– Lesser known ransomware called Maui has been targeting IT services at healthcare and public health organizations since May 2021. FBI has attributed Maui attacks to North Korean state-sponsored cyber attackers. Read on to find out more!
After a break in communications, NASA is back in contact with its tiny Moon satellite https://www.zdnet.com/article/nasas-capstone-faces-communication-issues-post-july-4th-deploy/
– The spacecraft is now preparing for its first trajectory correction maneuver! Very exciting, read up!
How to use PhotoShop on your phone https://www.zdnet.com/video/how-to-use-photoshop-on-your-iphone/
– Very cool! Totally worth checking out if you are a PhotoShop user!
Windows 11 subsystem for Android can now use VPN-assigned IPs
– Really useful! If you don't already use a VPN when you go onto public internets, I would recommend you pick one up.
IT services SHI hit by ‘professional malware attack' https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/it-services-giant-shi-hit-by-professional-malware-attack/
– SHI International is a New Jersey-based provider of Information Technology (IT) products and services. They have been hit! This attack caused the server to go down, then once it started coming back it was getting all kinds of errors. Read on to find out more.
Security advisory accidentally exposes vulnerable systems https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/security-advisory-accidentally-exposes-vulnerable-systems/
– This has been going on since at least April 2022. Several links to vulnerable systems listed within the ‘references' section of the CVE advisory. Read on to learn more!
Marriott hit by new data breach and a failed extortion attempt https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/marriott-hit-by-new-data-breach-and-a-failed-extortion-attempt/
– Hotel giant Marriot International confirmed it was hit by another data breach after an unknown threat actor breached one of its properties and stole 20GB of files. The attackers could only breach one of the chain's properties, BWI Airport Marriott.
AstraLocker ransomware shuts down and releases decryptors https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/astralocker-ransomware-shuts-down-and-releases-decryptors/
– Threat actor behind the lesser-known AstraLocker ransomware told BleepingComputer they're shutting down the operation and plan to switch to cryptojacking. Read on to find out more about this thrilling update!
IBM's gobbling up AI companies left and right – and we love it https://thenextweb.com/news/ibm-positions-itself-as-global-big-data-boss-with-latest-acquisition
– Big Blue is getting ALL the AI companies! Perhaps they will wind up on top again! Read on to find out all the nitty gritty details!
Matt's Famous Quotes
The hall of shame via Automattic:
This show won't work without YOU the Producers as this is a Value for Value kind of show!
If you find value in our show, toss some value back! Help keep the show going so we can keep on plugging!
This is where we like to take the time to thank everyone who supports the show!
This weeks show Artwork is by:
Greg's Graphics (Greg Holdsworth) — https://gregsgraphics.com
You can Submit Artwork yourself by going to https://wppluginsatoz.com/artwork/
You can also check out all the art work yourself by going to https://wppluginsatoz.com/show-art-submitted/
Show Executive Producer/'s up on the stage this week:
Nobody this week, maybe next week!
Executive Producers are the ones coming in with $50.00 or more in donations. You can also send along a note that will be read out live on the show! You can just say hi, or you can send in your elevator speech and get a little self promotion while donating to a good cause!
Back Room Producers hanging-out in the Lounge:
Back Room Producers play a big part in keeping this show going! Some of these producers are the anonymous benefactors coming in with donations under $50.00.
Our best known Back Room Producers are those who help us out with our contests, artwork, and site organization!
Some of our Back Room Producers help out the show by sending us in notes, questions, plugin suggestions, and plugin reviews.
Other Back Room Producers help out the show by sending in licenses for the contests.
Our least visible Back Room Producers help out the show by hiring us! This is as good as donating, plus we get the added bonus of more experience to bring to our listeners here on the show!
A big thank you to all the Producers out there, we couldn't do this show without you!
Support the show with your Time, Talent, or Treasure:
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Spread the word about WP Plugins A to Z through your social media, YouTube – wherever you find yourself! Get on out there to round them up and rope them all in, then belly up to the bar and enjoy with your catch of the day while we do our best to bring you the latest and greatest of plugins and news with a laugh!
You can also catch us live on our YouTube Channel every Thursday at 11 AM PDT – show up by 10:45 AM PDT to catch our pre-stream! Really quite entertaining most days as we fiddle with the dials and knobs to chase away the gremlins that have moved in since the week before.
Send us in articles, news, or general WordPress information to share either here on the show or on the WP Plugins A to Z site. You can do this anonymously, or have your name attached – just let us know in the email. Articles and General WordPress information will land on the site, while News may land either here on the show, or on the site – or both!
Send us in plugin suggestions or reviews for the show. This can be a plugin you love or hate, your own write up, or just a recommendation for a plugin to review!
Random tasks that need doing. See a task that you'd like to take on? Shoot us an email and we can talk about it!
See somewhere that could use your talent? Shoot us an email and we can talk about it!
Donations to the show! Over $50.00 donations will earn you an Executive Producership where you can have your note read out on the show! Under $50.00 donations will earn you a place in our Back Room Producers Lounge!
Patreon! – Yes, Patreon is still a thing that exists and works – and you can even watch our show there!
Something we haven't listed here? Shoot us an email and we can talk!
Want to send something in to us through Snail Mail? You can find us at:
WP Plugins A to Z
C/O John Overall
20-754 E Fairview Rd.
Victoria, BC V9A 5T9
Off we go into the meat and potatoes, Into the depths of plugin depravity…..
ClassicPress DOES have a future – we just don't have the time to help ClassicPress get themselves out there right now.
As the ClassicPress World expands the number of ClassicPress specific plugins in their own repository we see them growing. There are a few plugins specifically for ClassicPress currently, and all the plugins for WordPress 4.9.9 work well.
If anyone out there is using ClassicPress and would like to send in some reviews or news, we will gladly add it into this section! You can do so anonymously or let the world know your name – we will respect your choice!
Sadly, the number of plugins in the repository has dropped from 81 to 75. However, there is still a fair amount of recent conversations occurring in the forum, check them out to see what is being discussed using the link below.
Check out the new ‘chats' in the forum
WordPress does have a section devoted to plugins that are compatible with ClassicPress, check it out!
If you're looking to learn how to use ClassicPress check out the tutorials on their site.
For some up to date news on ClassicPress check out the ClassicPress Blog.
“Must Have” Plugins List
You can check out the ClassicPress repository here https://directory.classicpress.net/plugins They now have 71 plugins (and counting!) available.
ClassicPress Information – The information that will keep, and help you on your way to understanding and using ClassicPress!
Find out more about ClassicPress 1.4.0 rc2 https://forums.classicpress.net/t/classicpress-1-4-0-rc2-release-notes/3785?fbclid=IwAR3wGK5IW8ssJ-XC4k7IiZMBtSjUTVN2pexk6ATCRvuMN-Fn-McOy-XJJv8
Are you looking for some great newly released plugins? Check out this link:
This is a great way to keep from having your users changing things while you are doing important events to the site like updates or other maintenance.
Rating 4 Dragons
Very simple and lightweight plugin, that does a scan for you looking for the most common malicious coding in your main theme files.
Once downloaded and activated, you will find Scanner FMS on the right hand menu area. This takes you to the dashboard, where you can press the ‘SCANNER FMS' button. Within seconds it scans your theme files, and offers up any issues it finds. It tells you the size, date, and file found.
What you do from there is up to you!
Very useful little plugin. Handy dandy!
Rating: 5 Dragons
Jellyfish Counter Widget
This is a great plugin it lets you add all kinds of counters for anything you want to count.
Rating 4 Dragons
Did someone clone me?
This plugin was created to alert you via email if there is a clone made of your site.
This seems like a great idea, though it requires you to sign up with a third party site, and then use their code in your HTML source code. I personally don't like that much, but I don't like third party plugins.
Very useful if cloning of your site is something that you are worried about though. Totally free to use, just requires you to sign up and stick their link into your source code.
Rating: 4 Dragons
When Last Login
A lightweight plugin that allows you to see active users according to their last login time/date. No need to configure, simply activate ‘When Last' and you’re ready to go! This adds a custom column to your WordPress users list of “Last Login” and a timestamp linked to that user.
Rating 4 Dragons
Better Search and Replace
Being the N003 that I am, I have only just discovered this plugin. It's a simple and easy to use plugin that can be used for a few different things, including switching over to a new domain, or adding an SSL to your site.
How it works, is you put in the link to the plugin is to search for, then put in the link you want it changed to, select your tables, and click ‘Run Search/Replace'.
One aspect I really liked was the ‘dry run' option, where you can give it a test run to see if it's working for you.
There is a Pro version, though the free version is great for initial set up and swap over, then you can just deactivate and delete it after!
Rating: 5 Dragons
Random links for plugins
WordPress plugins crafted from love and experience
Listener Feedback / Audio Clips
Missed you guys last week but glad you took tie for yourselves. You work hard and need that break, just like many of us that go on holidays.
An Avid Listener
Feel Free sending in your thoughts to us – The Good, The Bad, The Ugly – we'll take them all!
Amber and John,
I am starting to set up my website and have the email accounts done. Do you have a document you use or follow that lists the steps of what to do in a smart order to follow? I like watching the videos but would find it easier with a step by step write up from my trusted source, you!
That Beginner Person
Nobody this week – Feel Free sending in your questions and we will get them into the show for you!
There is no contest right now – we are just waiting on the worker bees to return with our next contest!
Be sure to stay tuned to find out what will be available next! If anyone out there would like to help our current worker bees, contact us. Many hands make light work and more contests!
Contests Powered by Simple Giveaways who kindly provides us with the premium version for our contests.
A BIG Thank You to Steve Goodtime & Brant Matthews who have created our Awesome jingle for the contests!
A BIG Thank You to Steve Goodtime & Brant Matthews who have created our Awesome jingle for the contests!
A BIG Thank You to Charlie for coming to the aid of the show and getting our contests all organized!
We also want to give a BIG Thank You to all the Developers for supporting our show with their plugin donations! Please be sure to check them out!
Short note about participating in the contests folks – we go to great efforts to get these licenses. We would LOVE to see a bit more participation from you, The Producers.
Visit http://WPPluginsAtoZ.com/contests for more info.
For all developers who would like to support the show. You can donate a premium license to be used in a future contest please go toWPPluginsAtoZ.com/PluginContest
The plugins we covered were:
John’s Plugins: Content Freeze – 4, Jellyfish Counter Widget – 4, When Last Login – 4
Amber's Plugins: Scanner FMS – 5, Did someone clone me? – 4, Better Search and Replace – 5
Matt's Famous Quotes
Reminders / Commercial / Promotions:
No meetups planned for now, though the one on June 25th was a total hit! Missed you all there, look forward to seeing you at the next one!
Would you like to be on an interview show? Simply connect at https://wppluginsatoz.com/interview
If you have suggestions on plugins you would like to have reviewed please submit them on the website at https://wppluginsatoz.com/submit-plugin-review/
Q & A Time with Amber ——– Catch this info on our YouTube Channel
If you have questions you would like to have asked on the show, send them in to me at Amber@WPPro.ca and we will answer to the best of our ability!
- IBM was once the biggest baddy's in the tech world – what happened?
- Do you know if it's illegal to make ‘banned books' available online to everyone? How does that ‘banning' of things in various places play out when it comes to products like books across the ‘lines'?
- Do you think many authorities have thought about the criminal aspect of automated gadgets yet – like smuggling and delivery?
- What do you think ‘criminal proof' gadgets will look like in the future?
Closing out this Episode
Just some reminders:
Be sure and subscribe to our Newsletter.
You can support the show at wppluginsatoz.com/donate
All the show notes can be found at: WPPluginsAtoZ.com
You can find and review us at:
Follow the show on Twitter @wppluginsatoz
Join Us on Our Facebook Page
Subscribe and Check out our Training Videos, Screencasts and Watch us Live on YouTube every Thursday at Noon PDT
How to Contact Us:
John can be contacted at:
- on my website @ http://www.johnoverall.com/
- WordPress Emergency Support http://wppro.ca/wpemergency
- email: email@example.com
Amber can be contacted at:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org