Gobbling Up WordPress Plugins
It's Episode 580 and we have plugins for X-Pliant, EV-Words, Popular Items, Just Free Stuff, CF7 Mining, Woo Birthdays … and ClassicPress Options. It's all coming up on WordPress Plugins A-Z!
– ‘good morning, good afternoon, good evening, wherever you happen to be hiding out there on the globe today! Coming to you LIVE from …'
Welcome to Episode 580 – Gobbling Up WordPress Plugins – This is episode 40 for 2022, and Jack Frost is having a blast out there! At least he is round abouts here – be sure to pull out your warm stuff and keep it ready for the mornings especially!
A Message from your AtoZ Plugin Worker Bee's – This is a Value for Value show, meaning any value you find here, offer that same value back! We accept all currencies including time and talent currency! Chocolate is always good too…
Remember, don't skip the end of the show – you never know what kind of amazing life altering advice you might catch! Like how to fill your site as full of spam as possible…
A special note to our New Listeners: Don't be shy to ask your questions. No such thing as a dumb question, Dumbo the elephant agrees!
…When you see this in the notes, this means we didn't read this onto the show, and that the only way to find this information out is to read our Show Notes!
…You can send any questions/suggestions or notes saying ‘hi' over to me at email@example.com, or hit up our site wpppluginsatoz.com/contact – Be creative with the title so that the spammer eater doesn't eat your note though!
Let's start the show with this weeks Featured Artist:
Greg's Graphics (Greg Holdsworth) — https://gregsgraphics.com
Feeling Inspired? Hit up our site at https://wppluginsatoz.com/artwork/ and submit some artwork of your own!
…We can NEVER have too much art!
Or check out allll the artwork at: https://wppluginsatoz.com/artwork/
Breaking News in the WordPress World at large!!
…If I missed something, shoot me a link at firstname.lastname@example.org – it may show up on the next show!
News this week:
– WordPress Vulnerability Report – November 9, 2022 (https://ithemes.com/blog/wordpress-vulnerability-report-november-9-2022/) – This weeks list is just too long to list them all, here are the ones I most easily recognize:
Analytics for WP, Find and Replace All, Long Form reCAPTCHA, Fancier Author Box by ThematoSoup, Font Awesome 4 menus.
There are more, be sure to check out the links in our show notes!
– WooCommerce store owners combat fraudulent stripe charges (https://wptavern.com/woocommerce-store-owners-combat-fraudulent-stripe-charges) – For the past few weeks, members of the Advanced WordPress Facebook (AWP) group have been talking about how to combat Stripe Card Testing fraud. A developer by the name of Jon Brown opened the topic after coming across 5 different sites dealing with this; of the 5, simply turning off ‘bot mode' and adding a reCaptcha was enough to fix it. However, 1 of the 5 still had issues. Each fraudulent stripe costs $15 to dispute – the case he was dealing with was about 1,200 successful of $2.99, with 100,000 blocked.
The best option available currently is to limit the the checkout, using the Checkout Rate Limiter plugin available on GitHub – the issue was dealt with about a year ago and is being dealt with again. You can find the discussion links through the link in our show notes.
– Last call for the 2023 state of open source survey (https://wptavern.com/last-call-for-the-2023-state-of-open-source-survey) – OpenLogic and Open Source Initiative (OSI) have collaborated to put together the 2023 State of Open Source Survey. This is an annual survey collection from professionals to identify trends in the adoption and challenges of using open source technologies, and takes less than 10 minutes to answer the 31 questions survey. This is the last call for all those interested in partaking in the survey – you can find the link in our show notes.
– WordPress rebrands FSE as ‘Site Editor' (https://wptavern.com/wordpress-rebrands-fse-as-site-editor) – The term full-site editing (FSE) has been widely used but sometimes has been found to be poorly understood. After lengthy discussion, Haden Chomphosy has announced the decision to use ‘Site Editor' going forward. The idea is that the two words are much more straight forward and offers no confusion for those unsure what FSE stands for.
– Gutenberg's Roadmap for a ‘font library' will give users an interface for registering and managing web fonts (https://wptavern.com/gutenbergs-roadmap-for-a-font-library-will-give-users-an-interface-for-registering-and-managing-web-fonts0 – This article is referring to discussions that are being had regarding the roadmap for the webfonts API and the font management interface projects that are being looked at for Gutenberg. The idea is to take ideas put forth by plugins, and make them part of the core.
– Gutenberg 14.5 introduces new ‘document overview' panel, improved block spacing controls (https://wptavern.com/gutenberg-14-5-introduces-new-document-overview-panel-improves-block-spacing-controls) – Gutenberg 14.5 was released on November 9th, and had some exciting updates! The highlight is a new ‘document overview' panel – this combines what was previously found under separate icons in the Editor toolbar under ‘list view' and ‘details' together into one! You can open the new document outline panel using the list view icon in the toolbar. Characters, words, and ‘time to read' have been moved to the bottom of the panel, making the entire panel cleaner.
– Here's how algorithms are made (https://thenextweb.com/news/how-algorithms-are-made) – This is a really interesting read on how the things that give us what we do and do not want in our socials and Amazon are created – and by knowing, you will also have the power to tweak them exactly to your tastes, or to exactly opposite your tastes!
…Our News Section really isn't complete without ClassicPress News…
A message from ClassicPress!
It may not seem that way, but the team actively works on ClassicPress and its related projects. You can track core development progress by visiting our GitHub repository or reading transcripts from our weekly core meetings.There is a new Blog Post available on the ClassicPress site!
New at ClassicPress: Security Release, GitHub Issue Templates, And Morehttps://www.classicpress.net/new-at-classicpress-security-release-github-issue-templates-more/
ClassicPress has projects they are looking to have some support with. They have a page with these projects listed and who the contact is for the project. Check out the following page if you are using ClassicPress and are interested in helping them move forward! https://forums.classicpress.net/t/currently-active-projects/3630
They also have some petitions posted check them out!
…For some up to date news on ClassicPress check out the ClassicPress Blog.
…Here you will find news on tech in general, and some random things I think are pretty nifty! If you come across something you think should be added, send me a link at email@example.com
– New extortion scam threatens to damage sites' reputation, leak data (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-extortion-scam-threatens-to-damage-sites-reputation-leak-data/)
– Phishing drops IceXLoader malware on thousands of home, corporate devices (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/phishing-drops-icexloader-malware-on-thousands-of-home-corporate-devices/)
– Android phone owner accidentally finds a way to bypass lock screen (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/android-phone-owner-accidentally-finds-a-way-to-bypass-lock-screen/)
– Canadian food retail giant Sobeys hit by Black Basta ransomware (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/canadian-food-retail-giant-sobeys-hit-by-black-basta-ransomware/)
– US Seized 18 web domains used for recruiting money mules (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/us-seized-18-web-domains-used-for-recruiting-money-mules/)
– New BadBazaar Android malware linked to Chinese cyberspies (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-badbazaar-android-malware-linked-to-chinese-cyberspies/)
– Microsoft confirms gaming performance issues on Windows 11 22H2 (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-confirms-gaming-performance-issues-on-windows-11-22h2/)
– Royal Mail down: Tracking unavailable as outage exceeds 24 hours (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/royal-mail-down-tracking-unavailable-as-outage-exceeds-24-hours/)
– Microsoft fixes Windows zero-day bug exploited to push malware (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-fixes-windows-zero-day-bug-exploited-to-push-malware/)
…Some random entertainment in the World of WordPress!
…Matt's Famous Quotes
…The hall of shame via Automattic:
Let's have a peek at our Contests for this week…
Firstly we want to thank Simple Giveawaysfor being totally awesome and providing us with their Premium Version for our contests!
Secondly we want to thank Steve Goodtime & Brant Matthews for creating our amazing jingle we still use!!
Thanks to Charlie, we have both a winner for the Breakdance Plugin License, and a new contest for you to enter into!
If you didn't get a chance to enter into the contest for the Breakdance License, no worries! You will have another 2 chances, be sure to listen and enter into the contest when it rolls around again to Breakdance!