Author: Muhammad Jalloh
You can learn how to install Joomla on your website in a number of ways. However, the simplest and by far, the quickest is through Fantastico. This usually takes about 1-2 minutes once you know how. In this article, we are going to cover just that.
So, here is the step by step process for installing Joomla on your own website.
1. Log in to your hosting account's Control Panel. This should usually be http://www.mydomainname.com/controlpanel, where ‘mydomainnane' is replaced your own website that is hosted on that hosting account.
2. Look for the smiley icon that says “Fantastico” and click on it. This is where you will be installing the Joomla package from. Note that Sometimes, it may say “Fantastico De Luxe.” Don't worry it is the same thing. Much like saying “my room” and “my bedroom” 😉
3. Look for “Joomla” under the “Content Management” category of scripts in Fantastico and click on it. Also, note that the title ‘Joomla' may sometimes have some numerical suffixes showing which version it is. For example, the title may read “Joomla 1.5” for version 1.5 of the CMS. Just click on the most recent version and go to the next step.
4. Look for the hyperlinked blue “New Installation” link and make sure you have at least as much as the minimum disk space required for you to install Joomla on your website. This is usually about 25 MB of disk space.
This is not usually a problem, with most people's disk space running into the tens of gigabytes. But it is still good to make sure you have enough to hold a new Joomla installation.
5. Choose where on your website you want to install Joomla. Will it be on your main domain, an existing sub-domain or a new not-yet-existing sub-domain or directory? Indicate it in this part of the installation process.
6. Fill out other required fields that are required to smoothly install Joomla on the site. This includes creating an Admin username and password. Don't choose ‘Admin' and ‘password' as your username and password. Many people do this and have been hacked. Also, fill out the site name or main keyword, email address and other details here.
Then click the “Install Joomla” button.
7. On the next page, make sure that all the needed information is correct. Also, note down your Admin username, password and backend page (the one that ends with /administrator).
Finally, hit that “Finish Installation” of a button.
Voila! You have just learned how to install Joomla on your website. This should usually take only 1 or 2 minutes at most. After all, all you are doing is just hitting buttons, except for when choosing a username, etc.
If it still sounds a little like “nerd talk” (with all due respect to all the nerds out there 😉 ), you can watch the video version of this article where you see the Joomla installation done live on the screen and see if you can learn how to install Joomla after that.
About the Author:
Muhammad Jalloh has created and continue to create dozens of Joomla Video Tutorials to help you learn how to create, structure, design and manage your own Joomla website quickly and easily. These and other Joomla resources are available on http://www.JoomlaSultan.com