It's Episode 579 and we have plugins for Woo Markup, Fencing, Stickers, Crawling Hunter, Confitte, History Today, … and ClassicPress Options. It's all coming up on WordPress Plugins A-Z!
– ‘good morning, good afternoon, good evening, wherever you happen to be hiding out there on the globe today! Coming to you LIVE from …'
Welcome to Episode 579 – Up & Away with WordPress – This is episode 39 for 2022, Winter has arrived here on parts of the Island, we woke up to a small dusting of snow while other parts are having rain. All this in time for Remembrance Day on Friday, where we think of all those who have served or are currently serving their country (by choice and some without choice) to try and make this a better world for us all. Please take a moment to remember all those affected by these actions.
A Message from your AtoZ Plugin Worker Bee's – This is a Value for Value show, meaning any value you find here, offer that same value back! We accept all currencies including time and talent currency! Chocolate is always good too…
Remember, don't skip the end of the show – you never know what kind of amazing life altering advice you might catch! Like how to fill your site as full of spam as possible…
A special note to our New Listeners: Don't be shy to ask your questions. No such thing as a dumb question, Dumbo the elephant agrees!
…When you see this in the notes, this means we didn't read this onto the show, and that the only way to find this information out is to read our Show Notes!
…You can send any questions/suggestions or notes saying hi over to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or hit up our site wpppluginsatoz.com/contact – Be creative with the title so that the spammer eater doesn't eat your note though!
Let's start the show with this weeks Featured Artist:
Greg's Graphics (Greg Holdsworth) — https://gregsgraphics.com
Feeling Inspired? Hit up our site at https://wppluginsatoz.com/artwork/ and submit some artwork of your own!
…We can NEVER have too much art!
Or check out allll the artwork at: https://wppluginsatoz.com/artwork/
Breaking News in the WordPress World at large!!
…If I missed something, shoot me a link at email@example.com – it may show up on the next show!
News this week:
– WordPress Vulnerability Report – November 2, 2022 (https://ithemes.com/blog/wordpress-vulnerability-report-november-2-2022/)
– There is one Theme Vulnerability that HAS been patched: Ask Me has been patched in version 6.8.7. If this is something you use, be sure to update!
– There is a small list of plugins to pay attention to this week: Grid Kit Premium, Evaluate, Login Block IPs, and WP Best Quiz.
– New missing menu items plugin adds site building links to WordPress Admin (https://wptavern.com/new-missing-menu-items-plugin-adds-site-building-links-to-wordpress-admin) – If you've been using the new full-site editing (FSE), you might have noticed the lack of menu items via direct access. There is now a workaround to this inconvenience! Cut and paste /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=wp_block to the end of your website, than bookmark it. This expands the admin menu with links to reusable blocks, navigation, menus, templates, and template parts – making them all one click away.
– WP All Import is moving away from Lifetime Licenses (https://wptavern.com/wp-all-import-is-moving-away-from-lifetime-licenses) – WP All Import has announced that it will soon be changing its licenses to annual licenses. It includes both free and commercial, still though, the unlimited licenses will no longer be sold. They have assured though, that they will be honouring their lifetime licenses already sold.
– WP Rankings helps plugin developers track growth and competitors (https://wptavern.com/wp-rankings-helps-plugin-developers-track-growth-and-competitors) – Last month, the active install growth chart was removed from WordPress.org; this upset a lot of developers. So, in response to this, makers of the GeoDirectory plugin have created a tool to help plugin developers get an idea of how their plugins are ranking.
– AyeCode launched new site for WP Rankings (https://wptavern.com/wp-rankings-helps-plugin-developers-track-growth-and-competitors) – This site https://wp-rankings.com/ was released just one week after the info was pulled; this shows if a plugin is ranking higher or lower than the day before, and how many positions it needs to climb to reach the next milestone. The home page only shows the top 50 ranking plugins, though you can find your own via the filter. All data is refreshed daily.
– WordPress 6.1 retires default site tagline in favour of empty string (https://wptavern.com/wordpress-6-1-retires-default-site-tagline-in-favor-of-empty-string) – The default site tagline ‘just another WordPress site' is now a thing of the past. Instead, what you see now is: ‘the site tagline is empty by default in new sites but can be modified in General Settings'. There are a few reasons for this: not all themes display taglines, not everyone changes the default tagline, and when people don't see the tagline in their theme, they may not realize it is still visible in some places like feeds.
– Here's what work would be like if it were run like a DAO – Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (https://thenextweb.com/news/heres-what-work-would-be-like-if-it-were-run-like-a-dao) – This is an article mainly ‘for' Decentralized Autonoumous Organizations, though honestly it does not sound enticing to me. Never meeting your coworkers, always being ‘on' and never really getting any time off, a more global and asynchronous way of working, no boss and fewer colleagues… I mean, on the surface it seems like a great idea, though I can't help thinking of a future of everyone living alone with a cat in their tiny apartment and working all the time… What do you think?
…Our News Section really isn't complete without ClassicPress News…
There is no new news or fundraising goal update directly from ClassicPress this week.
ClassicPress has projects they are looking to have some support with. They have a page with these projects listed and who the contact is for the project. Check out the following page if you are using ClassicPress and are interested in helping them move forward! https://forums.classicpress.net/t/currently-active-projects/3630
They also have some petitions posted check them out!
…For some up to date news on ClassicPress check out the ClassicPress Blog.
…Here you will find news on tech in general, and some random things I think are pretty nifty! If you come across something you think should be added, send me a link at firstname.lastname@example.org
– Automakers are going all-in on gaming to keep us in our cars – in-car entertainment is thriving! (https://thenextweb.com/news/automakers-expand-gaming-as-in-car-entertainment-for-future-autonomous-vehicles)
– Microsoft sued for open-source piracy through GitHub Copilot (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-sued-for-open-source-piracy-through-github-copilot/)
– FBI: Hacktivist DDoS attacks had minor impact on critical orgs (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/fbi-hacktivist-ddos-attacks-had-minor-impact-on-critical-orgs/)
– ACE seizes 42 soccer and live TV piracy web domains with millions of visitors (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/ace-seizes-42-soccer-and-live-tv-piracy-web-domains-with-millions-of-visitors/)
– British govt is scanning all Internet devices hosted in UK (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/british-govt-is-scanning-all-internet-devices-hosted-in-uk/)
– Z-Library eBook site domains seized by US Dept of Justice (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/z-library-ebook-site-domains-seized-by-us-dept-of-justice/)
– Robin Banks phishing service returns to steal banking accounts (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/robin-banks-phishing-service-returns-to-steal-banking-accounts/)
– Windows 11 22H2 blocked on systems using Xbox Game Bar Capture (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-22h2-blocked-on-systems-using-xbox-game-bar-capture/)
– As Twitter brings on $8 fee, phishing emails target verified accounts (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/as-twitter-brings-on-8-fee-phishing-emails-target-verified-accounts/)
…Some random entertainment in the World of WordPress!
…Matt's Famous Quotes
…The hall of shame via Automattic:
Let's have a peek at our Contests for this week…
Firstly we want to thank Simple Giveawaysfor being totally awesome and providing us with their Premium Version for our contests!
Secondly we want to thank Steve Goodtime & Brant Matthews for creating our amazing jingle we still use!!
Thanks to Charlie, we have both a winner for the Breakdance Plugin License, and a new contest for you to enter into!
If you didn't get a chance to enter into the contest for the Breakdance License, no worries! You will have another 2 chances, be sure to listen and enter into the contest when it rolls around again to Breakdance!
Our winner for Breakdance is: David
And our new contest is for: